Monday, March 4, 2013

Lost

Have you ever felt lost?  Like uncertain of where you are going and what you're doing in life?  Perhaps you've been lost literally.  There's a store in Hawaii, Don Quijote, it's kind of like the "Japanese Walmart."  It has everything you could ever need.  It's a one-stop Asian mart, complete with bilingual signage and pricing.  The color scheme is a bright yellow and red.  It's kind of hard to miss.



Upon moving to Hawaii, I've experienced a bit of a pricing culture shock.  It took me a few Sunday papers to get acclimated to the idea of spending $5.99 on a gallon of milk (sale price).  Sure, Colorado is the land flowing with milk and honey, okay just milk.  By milk, I mean Greeley is literally surrounded by cows.  Great for the economy, maybe not so much for the aroma.  So, a gallon of milk on sale is $1.97.  As you can imagine, this did't settle well with my pocketbook nor my frugal ways.  So, my first trip to Don Quijote, wasn't exactly a bright and liberating experience.  The only thing bright about this experience was the sign.  After walking through the souvenir department and bypassing a commercial for a rice cooker in Japanese with English subtitles, I felt lost.  I felt like I'd made a mistake by going there in the first place.  As I scrambled to get through my shopping list, I couldn't help but think, what am I doing here.  I should stick to stores I know. I felt the enemy whisper malicious lies into my ear and like an echo, I verbalized them internally. Things like, I don't belong, and I should go back where I came from.



The week prior to this trip, Abi asked to take spam musubi to school for lunch.  She'd been taking sandwiches and lunchables but noticed that all the other kids had musubi.  She came home expressing an interest in taking musubi for her lunch like many of the other children.  I didn't want to discourage her, so we put spam musubi on the list.  So, here we are in the seaweed isle, looking at an array of dried seaweed packages in Japanese.  I felt lost.  Apparently, my feelings were conveyed through the look on my face and my body language because a very kind older Asian woman, asked me if I was in fact lost.  She said, "You look like you could use some help."  Really, I thought, 'it's that obvious huh?'  She went on to explain that it'd been years since she made musubi for her children but her grandchildren loved it. As she pointed me to the right package, I thought, 'it's just like God to send help especially when we're not expecting it.'  After I thanked her, I completed my trip and scurried over to the checkout.



Although this experience made me feel lost at first, I was reminded that even if I do not know the way, God is leading, guiding and directing my steps.  He has sent people along the path to encourage, help and befriend me.  I have to fight past the feelings and insecurities to walk in his freedom.  The same is true for us all, because God doesn't show favoritism. We know that He doesn't always show us a clear cut path or make situations comfortable for us, but He will place people in our path for a purpose.  Many times, we cannot understand the reasons why until the moment has passed.  Sometimes, it's to encourage us, sometimes it's to help us, sometimes it's to provide comfort, sometimes it's to correct us, sometimes it's to teach us, but the underlined reason is because God loves us.  Take time today to notice how God is watching out for you.  You may feel lost, but His overwhelming grace will help you find the way.  You may feel uncertain of what the future holds, but when you look to Him, you will find the peace that surpasses understanding.     

2 comments:

  1. "Many times, we cannot understand the reasons why until the moment has passed."

    That statement rings very true. In small things and even in larger dreams that seem to move beyond the horizon. Sometimes, I've taken all my talents and aspirations and then stacked my jenga blocks as high as I could manage. If there is anything I can count on, it’s a swift, cold reality check. Like a porcelain cup dropping through my hands in slow motion, I've found myself silently starting at the fragments of ‘who I thought I was’; what I thought I was worth and how I defined myself.

    For my part, I got into my dream college out of high school. I was the ‘smart guy.’ Then I fell flat of my face in my first college experience. I was completely blown out of the water, out classed by people more intelligent, more prepared, and more disciplined. My dream of succeeding in physics melted. I transferred. It’s been years since then, but it’s just now that God is starting to reveal why I went through that and how he can use my experience for good. I blamed him for a long time for making me “smart enough to get in, but not smart enough to succeed.” I never owned my own mistakes. Things have changed or, I should say, I've finally submitted and He is changing me; stripping me of my pride. I think someday I will be sitting next to a young man, like myself, who has had the rug pulled out from underneath him and then I’ll confidently say “I know…it’s hard. But God still has a plan for your life. I know he did for me.”

    It’s been a pruning process. As I seek him, he reveals more about his purpose and plan. He also begins to answer all the lingering questions I wrestle with about my faith and belief system. Even more so, I find that he’s been graciously redeeming many of my mistakes.

    I moved to Hawaii in October to accept a job offer. There is a ton here that is new to me as well. Today as I was praying about how to stay positive and keep moving towards my long term goals, I was struck by the parable of talents. I was convicted. My head has been off in the clouds about how I can serve God in the future and all the good I want to do, but sometimes in all this I’m missing out on being the best I can be on a daily basis. I felt challenged to be wise in the small things. Be wise with my time & commitments. Be wise with my finances. Be wise with my health. Be wise with my words—to speak life to those I care about. Be wise with my talents. This pruning process, this learning about the strength found in the posture of surrender, has been hard. However, I’m so glad He finds it worthwhile to discipline me. I need it and I’m grateful.

    It has been a pleasure meeting your family. You and Zach are awesome! Keep writing, the world needs more people with a voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful to know you. You are so beautiful, both inside and out. And I am grateful that God has allowed our paths to cross in this life. If you ever need help with local stuff, just let me know...

    ReplyDelete